Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:

Incorporation of Soybean Meal and Hazelnut Meal in Diets for Black Sea Turbot (Scophthalmus maeoticus)

File SizeFormat 
60_1_Ergun.pdf324.5 kBAdobe PDFView/Open

Item Summary

Title: Incorporation of Soybean Meal and Hazelnut Meal in Diets for Black Sea Turbot (Scophthalmus maeoticus)
Authors: Ergün, Sebahattin
Yigit, Murat
Türker, Ali
Harmantepe, Burcu
Keywords: Black Sea turbot, hazelnut meal, fishmeal, soybean meal, feed utilization
LC Subject Headings: Fish culture--Israel--Periodicals.
Fish culture--Periodicals.
Issue Date: 2008
Publisher: Israeli Journal of Aquaculture - BAMIGDEH
Citation: Ergun, S., Yigit, M., Turker, A., & Harmantepe, B. (2008). Incorporation of Soybean Meal and Hazelnut Meal in Diets for Black Sea Turbot (Scophthalmus maeoticus). The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture - Bamidgeh, 60(1), 27-36.
Series/Report no.: The Israeli Journal of Aquaculture - Bamidgeh
Abstract: The effects of soybean and hazelnut meals as partial replacements of fishmeal were studied in Black Sea turbot (Scophthalmus maeoticus). Juvenile fish (mean 26 g) were fed six isoenergetic (19.1±0.18 kJ/g diet) and isonitrogenous (511±0.48 g protein/kg diet) diets for 60 days. The con- trol diet contained fishmeal as the sole protein source. In two of the six experimental diets, soy- bean meal replaced 20% and 35% of the fishmeal. The other three diets contained 65% fishmeal plus soybean and hazelnut meal at ratios of 25/10, 15/20, 5/30. There was no significant differ- ence (p<0.05) in growth performance between the groups fed the diet containing 20% soybean meal and those fed the control diet. Fish fed the 10% or 20% hazelnut meal diets had similar results as fish fed the diet containing 35% soybean meal. Growth performance, feed utilization, protein efficiency, and nitrogen retention were significantly lower in the group fed the 30% hazel- nut diet. Total nitrogen excretion and retention were similar in all groups except the 30% hazel- nut group. Results indicate that soybean meal can replace up to 20% of the fishmeal without causing reduction in growth performance, nutrient utilization, or nitrogen retention and that hazel- nut meal can be incorporated with 20%, but not 35%, soybean meal at a level of no more than 20% of the diet.
Pages/Duration: 10 pages
ISSN: 0792-156X
Appears in Collections:IJA Volume 60, Issue 1, 2008

Items in eVols are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.